Since its launch 3 years before, TikTok managed to accumulate over a 800 million active users and surpass some massive competitors like Snapchat and Twitter. So, we can definitely call TikTok a rising star on the social media sky that aims high intending to become the future’s biggest social network.
In favor of this predictions comes the fact that more and more major brands, like Nike, Gucci, KFC, Mercedes, and Coca-Cola, are starting to advertise on TikTok. Yes, they are leading the way, but, the best thing about it, it’s not reserved only to them. There’s no better time than now to join the party and jump on the hottest platform right now. However, before joining in on the fun, everyone should know the rules of play! That’s why we prepared some useful tips that will help you start advertising on TikTok in no time!
Is advertising on TikTok a good decision?
Up until recently, TikTok was considered an app reserved only for Gen Z. But the platform has become popular with millennials across other parts of the world and the latest statistics reveal that 37.5% of users are older than 30 years.
Ad options on TikTok are quite new and at the moment brands have 2 models on their hands for advertising on the app:
Ads requiring TikTok Account Manager
TikTok offers very inspiring and interesting ad formats, but they require you to work with a TikTok account manager. Also, they come with a huge price tag, and these options are:
- Brand Takeover: Appears when TikTok users open the app
- Hashtag Challenge: Appears on the Discovery page. Calls users to participate in various challenges.
- Branded AR Content: Appears as branded lenses, stickers, and other 2D/3D/AR effects for users.
- Custom Influencer Package: Appears as a part of sponsored content created by TikTok influencers in specific niches.
The previous advertising opportunities are mostly reserved for big brands that can afford required budgets, but there’s a more favorable option for small businesses. Spending big bucks on TikTok isn’t the only way to advertise on the popular app. You can bid on in-feed video ad slots on the platform and TikTok requires a minimum budget of $50 for overall campaigns, with a $20 minimum for ad groups. Biddable ads bring 3 different pricing models for users:
- CPC (cost per click)
- CPM (cost per mille)
- CPV (cost per view)
How to create Ads step-by-step:
- #1 Creating an account
To easily start creating your first campaign on TikTok, visit TikTok Business homepage and click Get Started. Fill in and submit all information required and you will be contacted in 5 business days by TikTok’s representatives to let you know if your business qualifies.
- #2 Creating an Ad campaign
Once your TikTok advertising account is ready, select the Campaign tab from the top of the page and click Create. Next, you should choose your campaign objective. TikTok advertising offers 3 options:
- App install
- #3 Placement and targeting
The following step is to create an Ad group for your campaign during which you decide on placement and targeting.
For placement, you can choose between automatic and manual options. The automatic option will calculate what is the best combination based on previous steps. If you opt for manual, you will have access to advertising on other platforms besides TikTok: Vigo Video, BuzzVideo, TopBuzz, Babe, and News Republic. However make sure you understand which countries are available for targeting based on where your business is registered.
After that, it is time to provide all of the details necessary to start your campaign: profile pictures, links to your landing page, categories, and keywords.
Finally, the “Targeting” section will help you set the parameters for your Ad to reach your target audience. At your hand you will have the option to choose a location, age, gender, languages, devices, and much more.
Make sure not to over-narrow your targeted audience. It’s always better to start with broader selection and with the assistance of the system learn who will and who won’t convert. By excluding the audience you may give up on a chance you may miss some good chances because TikTok may find some users in those groups too, or exclude for you over time with the help of their sophisticated targeting system.
Also, keep in mind that you don’t need multiple ad groups unless you are targeting different audiences or optimizing for different goals at the same time. The system will always prioritize ads best on their performance and separate ad groups could start competing against each other and cause artificial increase of prices.
- #4 Budgeting, Scheduling and Optimising
Under the Budget & Schedule tab, you decide on the budget for your ad group. You can choose either the budget to be spent per day or the total budget to be spent during a selected period.
Choose the dates you want to cover with your ad and skip to the section where you set the pace of spending your budget. Standard method spends your budget evenly through the selected period, the Accelerated delivery utilizes it as quickly as possible.
You can then select the optimization goal for your ad group:
- Conversion: Optimized to show to people most likely to make a conversion action for your product or service.
- Click: Optimized to provide as many clicks as possible
- Impressions: Optimized to reach as many times as possible
Always try to match your optimization goal with your chosen business goal. For example, with the right settings, and the help of TikTok’s system, you will have impressions that will most likely result in clicks, if you seek them. If you choose to go for manual bidding, aim for at least 50:1 weekly budget to bid radio, or no less than 20:1. The system needs some time and conversions to predict performances in the right way.
- #5 Design your ad
In order to make it easier for marketers to advertise on the platform, TikTok integrated a Video Creation Kit inside TikTok Ads page. You will have at your disposal video templates, images, music backgrounds, and other options that will help you customize your creatives and make them more interesting for placement on the app.
Some of the best practices on TikTok Auction Ads show that you should aim for 5 unique video assets for each campaign! Also, keep in mind these things:
Turn it up – Keep the beat going on or use dialogues and other sound effects. Always count on sound-on options for your ads!
Get your message out early – With so much entertaining content out there, you don’t have much time to catch someone’s attention. Highlight your key message or product within the first 3 seconds and keep viewers hooked until the very end.
Shoot natively for TikTok – Ads created vertically and especially for TikTok have much better reception as ads. Stay real, stay raw, stay loyal to the nature of the network at all times.
Edit videos in the TikTok way – With so many effects on your disposal, how do you choose the right ones? It doesn’t matter, as long as it feels it’s crafted like a true TikToker.
Drive urgency with CTA – Tell your story in the unconventional ways, but at the same time briefly and directly. Get to the point right away, create a unique hook for your viewers and pick the right button for them to click!
Good to know tips:
- It is also important to get your business verified by TikTok using these steps
- Explore TikTok’s Inspiration section to see some of the best practices on the platform.
- Create and try multiple creatives with each video. Refresh them each week, but only current ones aren’t performing well or it’s declining.
- Ensure that your landing page is optimized to accommodate an easy conversion flow. This will impact greatly on the conversion rate. Also, make sure they are optimized for mobile devices.
- Focus on only one call to action at a time, such as downloading your app or using a coupon on your website, but not both at the same time.
- Ensure to check the available budget on a regular basis to prevent delivery from being paused should the budget run out.
- Consider using verified influencers in your niche. Follow them to get to know their content and see if they’re a good fit for your brand.
- Having good creative is super important. And make sure you have them in HD!
- If you struggle with reaching your first goal, consider switching to a higher-funnel objective instead. We also recommend only adjusting one parameter of the campaign per day in order to see the real effect of the changes before making further ones.
- When starting a new campaign/account it is recommended to keep targeting broadly. You can further optimize once a campaign is live. This will help you to gain as many learnings as possible in the first launch stage.
TikTok continues to be a huge opportunity to generate sales and build brand image through a platform for companies of any size. Also, if you want to leverage this untamed potential without any hassle and testing the waters, consider hiring a specialized TikTok marketing agency like GrowMojo that could help you maximize your TikTok performance. Feel free to contact us and let us help you reach your audience and drive revenue in no time!